Summer is the time of year when people are out soaking up sun and engaging in fun outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, swimming, taking trips to the beach and exploring other parts of nature.
While the warm air, sunny skies, free time may be just what the doctor ordered, summer is also a time when people are most susceptible to bug bites.
While virtually harmless, bug bites can be troublesome and painful, too. They can show up just about anywhere on the body and can leave you feeling itchy and sore for days or even weeks, not to mention the unsightly scars they can leave behind.
There are plenty of ointments, creams, and sprays available to prevent and treat summer bug bites, but they’re often filled with harsh chemicals that could harm you in the future.
For those who don’t want to suffer from their bug bites but also want to avoid chemical treatments, there are natural remedies to try that get the job done well.
Try These Natural Remedies
- Witch Hazel: Witch hazel is a natural astringent, which means it helps to kill bacteria. Some people use witch hazel for acne and blemishes, but it is also incredibly effective for itchy bug bites. Simply soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and dab the affected area. It should relieve pain and itching and also reduce any swelling and inflammation. Witch hazel can be found in your local grocery.Ice (Packs): It may sound simple, but a common ice back can help soothe and heal summer bug bites. To tackle the swelling and itching that may occur from bites, stings, and rashes, apply a homemade ice pack. The best way to do this without causing harm is discomfort is to put some ice in a plastic baggy (or frozen veggies), wrap the pack in a towel, and apply directly to the affected area. The towel should help the skin from getting too cold too quickly, which can lead to pain and further injury. Just the right amount of cold therapy can reduce swelling and soothe itching.
- Tea Tree Oil: Refreshing and fragrant, tea tree oil is a great for treating itchy, swollen insect bites. Only a little bit of this oil is needed; simply dip a Q-tip or soak a cotton ball and apply directly to the bite. This remedy should take away the itch and pain of most summer bug bites.
- Corn Starch: Corn starch is one of the most common natural remedies out there. You can make a thick corn starch paste by simply mixing the starch with water and mixing well. Once the mixture is done, apply to the bite or sting and wait for the itch to disappear!
- Lemon Juice: Fresh juice from a recently cut lemon is a great way to treat painful stings and bites. Cut a slice and place over the bite. It may sting a little at first but the Vitamin C present in this citrus fruit will help reduce pain and promote healing.
- Garlic: It may sound strange, but garlic is a wonderful way to stop painful insect bites. Simply mash the clove of garlic and rub it directly into the bite. The pain should instantly go away and any swelling should be reduced as well. You may mind the smell, but this one is a quick fix!
- Toothpaste: For both bug bites and pimples, toothpaste is an effective treatment option. Safe and gentle, toothpaste can dry out inflamed bug bites and reduce swelling. White toothpaste is best, but any type you use can do the trick.
- Mustard: For poisonous bites and stings, mustard can help draw out any toxins fairly quickly. Ordinary yellow mustard can reduce pain and swelling as well and help the bite heal much more quickly.
- Charcoal: Pure charcoal can help remove impurities from a summer bug bite by drawing out toxins and venom. Mix the charcoal with a little water until it creates a fine paste. Once done, rub the paste into the bite, then cover with a band-aid, and allow it to heal. This should remedy both itching and swelling fairly quickly.
- Mud: That’s right! Mud is another remedy that is perfect if your bite occurs while out at the beach or when camping. This all natural remedy helps stop itching and swelling and creates a sort of natural band aid to protect the bite from further irritants. When rubbed into the bite, it brings relief very quickly.